Thursday, September 6, 2012

Avoiding Gender Bias


I follow a few authors and illustrators on Twitter and Facebook.  Not only does it help me keep up to date on new books being published, but also they are generally intelligent and interesting people.  They post some of the most thought provoking links or comments in both of my feeds. 

A month ago Shannon Hale, Newberry honor award nominee and author of various children, young adult and adult books, posted about male readers and her books. 


She has observed that her book signings tend to be an all female audience with the occasional male fan.  When she has had the opportunity to talk to these boys, she has learned that they generally are homeschooled.  The question she poses on her blog is – why?  Why does she have so few male fans?  Is something happening in schools that make boys feel like they need to conform to specific gender roles?  Why should a boy not be encouraged to enjoy a book with a female protagonist?  Would a female be discouraged from reading a book that is generally considered more male centric like Ender’s Game or Hatchet?  My guess is no.  Why does a double standard exist? 

Gender roles and peer pressure is not a new topic.  In a couple of my education courses at UIUC, we discussed at length how young people form an identity and the impact their environment has on this development. 

Since this is a youth services library blog, I thought this topic was certainly appropriate.   It is something I need to consider in my future career.  How as a future school librarian can I make sure I am doing my do diligence to avoid making gender bias assumptions during readers advisory or on book displays or book talks?  It is something I need to continuously be mindful of so I do not contribute to the problem.  

1 comment:

  1. Melissa,

    This is a really thought-provoking issue you present. Hale's example is anecdotal, but does seem to demand more investigation about the role of schools in constructing those gender norms.

    It also, though, gets at the general reading gap between girls and boys. Is this based more on biology and development, or are their certain environmental factors, like school-constructed gender biases- that are significantly contributing?

    I think this is another important part of the conversation about getting boys to read. As we have discussed, the Guys Read movement has sought more male-oriented literature for children. Gender bias in the structures of school and society, though, may also be playing a significant role in limiting what boys see as "acceptable" reading for them.

    Thanks for the post

    ReplyDelete