Wednesday, October 17, 2012

Library or Counselor's Office



I have made a variety of observations while doing my practicum at a high school library.  One that surprised me was how the library is not just a place for education support.  It is a social outlet for a variety of teens and an emotional haven for many others.  At times, I feel like I am volunteering in a school counselor’s office and not a school library.  Maybe this particular high school is strange or the dynamic is different because of the school librarian?  My guess is this is not a unique situation. 

The library has 2-3 student helpers each class period, so there is always student activity near the circulation desk.  These students work with the library staff, but they also talk to them.  The topics range from pop culture to school to their person lives.  The small group dynamic allows for these students to form a fairly close bond with the staff in the library.  

The librarian is also the yearbook adviser, so there is a steady stream of students coming to talk to her about yearbook.  Yet, they also come to the library just to hang out.  Many times they visit the library for study hall without any yearbook related reason.  The librarian tries to make herself available to talk with them about a variety of topics.  

This week I was reminded that sometimes being a teacher and supporting students is not all the positive situations I describe above.  It can be tough.  The librarian found a personal note that had been dropped by a student in the library. (I was surprised that teens still write notes?!?)   The student talked about her relationship with her boyfriend and some of her fears, stress, pressures. It also made reference to how she is a little frightened of her boyfriend and how aggressive he can be when they are intimate.  It was a disturbing note to read, and it was easy to identify the author.  The librarian had to make a judgment call on what to do with the information.   She decided to bring it to the school counselor, since the topics in the note were fairly serious nature.  I am not sure what the school counselor will do with the information.  

 I would imagine that similar issues happen in public libraries, but these individuals do not have a school counselor to call for support.  It made me wonder what responsibilities youth public librarians take on because they work with youth.  Do these areas end up be like a counselor’s office too?  Who do they turn to for support?

No comments:

Post a Comment