Tuesday, October 23, 2012

Young Adult Customer Service



While reading about customer service in the Connecting Young Adults and Libraries text, I was surprised by the example scenario created for Bare Bones by Jim Rosinia and Mary K. Chelton.  The entire exchange seems a bit extreme and absurd.  I cannot imagine a librarian responding to a patron in this manner.  Perhaps it happens in some libraries, but I cannot image it is a common occurrence.  

I agree with the point that a youth services public librarian does have to do a bit of coaching with co-workers to help them better serve teen patrons.  However, I doubt that the need is as extreme as the example.  From my observations being in public libraries and volunteering at a high school – too often a librarian does not ask the right questions or get down to the core need of the teen.  Rarely are librarians rude and unwilling to help. 

My guess is that because libraries tend to be understaffed, librarians do not spend the time or focus on helping teenage patrons.  One example:  a class of 30 students comes to a high school library to check out books.  The librarian not only has to help with readers’ advisory, but also stand at the circulation desk and check out the books.  If he/she only has a few moments to help with a student, will the right questions be asked and need met?  I doubt it.  I have observed librarians do the best they can with the resources they have available, most of the time they ask a quick question and then start making suggestions.  “Have you read Hunger Games?  It is soooo popular!”  This is obviously not the best method, but how does one improve?

I would be interested to learn about strategies to cope in these types of situations.       

No comments:

Post a Comment